Mayor Sara orders closure of 'night market'
Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio has ordered the closure of the popular night market along Roxas Boulevard, citing a number of violations committed by the vendors.
The order to shut down the street bazaar was upon the recommendation of City Traffic and Transport Management Office (CTTMO) Chief Rhodelio Poliquit.
Duterte said that the order will be implemented starting Thursday night, August 4. Around 700 vendors selling food, accessories, and ukay-ukay will be affected by the order.
“I have ordered the closure of the night market because of a number of violations and complaints,” said the mayor in an interview Wednesday.
The vendors, she said, have been very defiant of the rules and regulations set by the city government.
The following are the issues and concerns she cited:
1. Vendors refuse to follow the one-family-one-stall rule
2. Vendors insist on their preferred locations
3. Presence of stalls that are run by financiers but managed by dummies
4. Vendors sub-leasing stalls to others
5. Vendors who claim they were able to buy or secure rights or permits over their preferred stalls, insisting on selling their products even if they are not included in official the list of allowed sellers
Last year, the city earned P5.47 million in taxes from the nightly bazaar — over a hundred percent increase from the P2.24 million figure in 2014. From January to March this year, the city has already earned around P1.75 million from the night market.
Mayor Sara said she will not reopen the night market — even if the city is earning from it — unless the vendors will follow the rules.
“The vendors must follow our rules. It is not the other way around. If they cannot follow the rules, I will never reopen the night market,” she warned.
“Yes, the city is earning from it, but we cannot bend over backward and be soft on these vendors just because the city is earning from their activities. They need to follow the rules,” she added. | CIO