Disaster Risk Reduction & Mitigation

In January, Davao City plays Santa to flood-stricken areas in Mindanao

January 24, 2017 By

The city government has extended P2.2 million financial assistance to flood victims in various areas of Mindanao starting last week.

Last Saturday, the City sent some 5,000 food packs to Cagayan de Oro City, where flood water reached as deep as three feet earlier On Sunday. Some 4,000 families there lost their food stocks in the flood that only subsided on Tuesday.

The food packs were personally brought by Central 911 chief Emmanuel Jaldon and was received by the Local Government of CDO.

“We used five trucks to deliver the goods last Saturday and it was handed to the LGU of Cagayan (de Oro). We used the logistics vehicle of the Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council and 4 trucks from the City Engineer (Office),” Jaldon said.

On Tuesday, the Davao City Council under Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte approved through suspended rules P2.2 million in aid for 9 more areas affected by the heavy rain.

The towns of Jabonga in Agusan del Norte; Talacogon and Loreto in Agusan del Sur; Lagonglong and Lugait in Misamis Oriental; Boston and Cateel in Davao Oriental, and Malita in Davao Occidental will each receive P250,000. Cagayan de Oro will also receive the same amount.

Earlier, Mayor Sara Duterte asked the SP to immediately respond to the needs of flood victims in neighboring areas.

She said the city can draw from the Quick Response Fund to help those in need.

Danilo Dayanghirang, the chair of the SP committee on ways and means, said the approval of the mayor’s request was also in line with the tradition of the city to extend assistance to calamity-affected areas.

“The fund came from the remaining P98.6 million of the Quick response Fund of the city for this year, that is 30 percent of the entire Disaster
Risk reduction Management Fund,” he said.

For 2017, the city has a total budget of P340.4 million for Disaster Risk Reduction Management. Of this, P102.1 million is allocated as Quick Response Fund.

“Because the city is seldom hit by typhoon, we usually extend assistance to those who were devastated by calamities, they just have to declare that they are under the state of calamity,” Dayanghirang said.

Prior to the aid to Mindanao areas, the city also sent an additional P3.5 million to victims of typhoon Nina in the provinces of Quezon, Batangas and Marinduque. CIO