UPDATED | Davao City declares measles outbreak
The Davao City Health Office has declared a measles outbreak following an increase in the number of people infected by the viral infection from November 2017 to early January of 2018.
The CHO recorded at least 222 cases as of January 6.
But Dr. Josephine Villafuerte, chief of the CHO, clarified that out of the 222 reported cases, only 17 were confirmed measles.
The said patients were not all residents of Davao City but hospitalized in the city.
On Monday morning, Villafuerte said they were able to so far vaccinate 13,000 children aged 5 months to 59 months since the first measles case was reported two weeks ago.
At least 16 call center workers were found positive of the measles virus and this was confirmed by CHO last week.
This prompted the CHO to conduct an outbreak response immunization (ORI) operations across Davao City.
“We wanted to avoid the spread of the virus,” she said.
To address this, the CHO has been doing the following:
> Conduct immunization/booster of measles vaccine for children 6-59 months.
> Conduct fixed site, house-to-house and health center measles immunization. Services are FREE.
> Increase information/education campaign on measles awareness.
> Advise establishments/workplaces that if an employee shows signs/symptoms of measles, they advise that employee not to report for work.
The signs and symptoms of measles, which are felt after around two weeks of exposure to the virus, are high fever, cough, colds, sore throat, inflammation of the eyes, skin rashes, and white spots on the inner lining of the cheeks.
Villafuerte reminded the public that if they feel the early manifestations of measles, they must immediately go to the nearest hospital.CIO